Dr. Nicole Letourneau, PhD MN BN RN FCAHS FAAN
Are you the profile owner?
Login to edit.
Faculty of Nursing
Cumming School of Medicine, Dept. of Pediatrics
Cumming School of Medicine, Dept. of Psychiatry
Cumming School of Medicine, Dept. of Community Health Sciences
Alberta Children's Hospital Research Institute, Owerko Centre
Hotchkiss Brain Institute
Mathison Centre for Mental Health Research and Education
Canadian Research Institute for Social Policy - Social Support and Social Policy, University of New Brunswick, 2004
Centre for Health Promotion Studies - Social Support, University of Alberta, 2003
PhD Nursing, University of Alberta, 1998
MN University of Alberta, 1994
BN University of New Brunswick, 1991
Nicole Letourneau PhD RN FCAHS FAAN is Professor in the Faculty of Nursing and Cumming School of Medicine (Pediatrics, Psychiatry and Community Health Sciences) at the University of Calgary, where she holds the Research Chair in Parent and Child Mental Health and is Director of RESOLVE (Research and Education for Solutions to Violence) Alberta. Formerly, she was the Palix/Alberta Children’s Hospital Chair in Parent-Infant Mental Health (2011-21) and Canada Research Chair in Healthy Child Development (2007-11).
She is Principal Investigator (PI) of the Child Health Intervention and Longitudinal Development (CHILD) Studies Program, examining parenting and child health and development in the context of maternal depression, family violence and other toxic stressors and early adversity. She is also Principal Investigator of APrON, the Alberta pregnancy cohort of 2200 families funded for follow-up to 12 years of child age, her research mainly focusing on predictors of and intersections between parental mental health, adversity and child behavioural development. She is founder of the ATTACH and VID-KIDS parenting programs, designed to help stressed or depressed parents support their children’s health and development.
She has attained ~$65 million CDN in research funding. She is the author of three books including Scientific Parenting (2013) and What Kind of Parent Am I? (2018) and Parenting and Child Development (2020) as well as 210+ peer reviewed papers. A regular contributor of opinion-editorials appearing in online/print media such as the HuffPost and Toronto Star, she is the most followed nurse on Twitter in the world with more than $25K followers.
She has attained many honours including Canada’s Top New CIHR Investigator in 2006, Canada’s Top 40 Under 40 in 2007, Awards for Research Excellence from the College and Association of Registered Nurses of Alberta (CARNA) in 2015 and Canadian Association of Schools of Nursing in 2017, and the Excellence in Leadership Award from Canadian Association of Perinatal and Women’s Health Nurses in 2019. In 2020, she was inducted into the American Academy of Nursing and received the prestigious Canadian Nurses Association Jeanne Mance award for career achievement.
She is also President of CARNA, the provincial college regulating 37,000 registered nurses in Alberta, and she serves on the Boards of Directors of Discovery House Family Violence Prevention Society and the Canadian Nurses Association.
Areas of Research
- Canadian Association of Schools of Nursing Research Award, Canadian Association of Schools of Nursing. 2017
- Centre for Addiction and Mental Health Difference Maker - 150 Leading Canadians for Mental Health, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health. 2017
- Faculty of Nursing Research Pursuit of Excellence Award, The University of Calgary. 2017
- Change Agent in Health, Alberta Health Services. 2016
- Inspiration Award for Family Violence Prevention, Alberta Ministry of Human Services. 2016
- Peak Scholar Award for Research Innovation, University of Calgary. 2016
- CARNA Award of Excellence in Research (highest honour bestowed to Alberta Nurse Scientist), College and Association of Registered Nurses in Alberta. 2015
- Fellow, Canadian Academy of Health Sciences. 2014
- Nurses Association of New Brunswick Award of Merit: Research, Nurses Association of New Brunswick. 2011
- Visitorship Award, Harrison McCain Foundation. 2010
- Canada's Top 40 Under 40, Caldwell Partners. 2007
- Canada's Premier New Investigator (Peter Lougheed/CIHR Award), Canadian Institutes of Health Research. 2011
- Young Scholars Award, Harrison McCain Foundation. 2006
- Alumni Horizon Award, University of Alberta. 2005
- Canadian Institute of Advanced Research, New Investigator, Canadian Institute of Advanced Research. 2007
- Outstanding New Investigator, Canadian Association for Nursing Research. 2004
- Jeanne Mance Award - Highest nursing achievement in Canada for contributions to health of Canadians , Canadian Nurses Association. 2020
- Killam Award, University of Calgary. 2021
- Fellow, American Academy of Nursing. 2020
- Woodside: London, UK. (2020)
- Dundurn: Toronto, ON. (2018)
- Dundurn: Toronto: ON. (2013)
In the News
- Opinion Editorials appearing in various news outlets. Evidence Network.