Professor - Medicine
Cumming School of Medicine, Department of Clinical Neurosciences
Hotchkiss Brain Institute
Office: +1 (403) 210-8640
Doctor of Medicine Medicine, Shanghai Nat. Def. Med College, 1983
Doctor of Philosophy Neurobiology, Laval University, 1989
Dr. Bin Hu MD. Ph.D.
Professor Hu was the founding member and head of Division of Translational Neuroscience. His research has extended from the fundamental science such as thalamocortical auditory cueing network, axonal mechanism of deep brain stimulation and dormant neuron model of autism, to technology innovations and social engineering. He has led three large-scale, public funded and million-dollar translational international programs that developed 2nd Generation wearable system and digital health platforms for the diagnosis, treatment and telehealth of Parkinson’s disease and other neurological disorder (known as Ambulosono-ACSCON project). Current research interests include: 1) Technological and social platforms for facilitating evidence-based trials of non-pharmaceutical interventions, 2) Re-thinking the role of multi-domain exercise and cognitive training in modifying motor and cognitive decline in neurodegenerative diseases and 3) Neurobiological circuits and system underlying music-induced paradoxical movement in PD.
The long-term objective of my research program is to develop, validate and implement new and practical technological tools, supported by neurobiology and causality-based scientific concepts and approaches that will transform the current landscape of non-pharmaceutical treatment and management of chronic illness in an aging society. More specifically, I am interested in the applications of 2nd generation wearable systems, causality analysis, and applications of instrumental learning and social engagement behavioural models in the design of new diagnostics and interventions.
Areas of Research
Parkinson's disease, audition, thalamic stimulation in the cortex.
- commendation, 2017
- award, 2014
- award (honourable mention), 2014
- International Advisor for Chinese Association of Disabled People, 2014
- International Advisor in rehabilitation medicine in China, 2014
- Suter Professorship for parkinson's Disease Research, 2014
- visiting professor, Hongkong City University, 2014
- award, 2013
- Invited as external examiner for Ph.D. thesis by a major overseas university, 2013
- salary support award, 2013
- award, 2011
- Morton Shulman Award, Parkinson Society Canada. 2011
- A Community-based Mobility Assessment Program (MAP) for Elderly with Cognitive and Gait Impairment, 2009
- Alan McGregor Memorial Endowment, 2009
- Audition and Autism, 2009
- Audition and Autism A proposal for creating a CIHR team to enhance research and partnerships combating developmental communication disorders, 2009
- Division of Neurology Research Fund, 2009
- Suter Professorship in Parkinsons Disease Research, 2006
- International Advisor, 2004
- International expert reviewer, 2004
- Senior Consultant and Advisor, 2004
- 2002-2004 Senior Consultant and Advisor, Department of Rehabilitation Hongkong Polytechnic University Hongkong, China. 2002
- Murray Barr Award Lecture, 1998
- Murray Barr Junior Scientist Award, 1997
- Board Member, 1996
- Honored Professorship, Shanghai Second National Defense Medical College Shanghai, China. 1995
- MRC Scholarship, Medical Research Council of Canada University of Ottawa and Ottawa Civic Hospital Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. 1992
- FRSQ Postdoctoral Fellowship, 1990
- MRC Postdoctoral Fellowship, 1990
- FCAR Postdoctoral Fellowship, 1989
- Graduate Studentship, 1986
- Basic Research Award for Outstanding Medical Student, Shanghai Second National Defense Medical College China. 1981
Mooney DM, Zhang L, Basile C, Senatorov VV, Ngsee J, Omar A, Hu B*. Distinct forms of cholinergic modulation in parallel thalamic sensory pathways. Proceedings of National Academy of Science USA. 2004 Jan 6; 101(1):320-4.
Chomiak T and Hu B*. Axonal and Somatic Filtering of Antidromically Evoked Cortical Excitation by Simulated Deep Brain Stimulation. Journal of Physiology, 2007 579(Pt 2):403-12.
Chomiak T and Hu B*. The Functional Architecture and Spike Timing Properties of Corticofugal Projections from Rat Ventral Temporal Cortex. Journal of Neurophysiology, J Neurophysiol 100: 327-335, 2008
Chomiak T and Hu B. What is the optimal value of the g-ratio for myelinated fibers in the rat CNS? PloSONE, 2009 4(11): e7754.
Chomiak T, Hu B**, Alterations of Neocortical Development and Maturation in Autism: Insight from valproic acid exposure and animal models of autism. Neurotoxicology and Teratology Volume: 36 Special Issue: SI Pages: 57-66 Published: MAR-APR 2013
Chomiak T, Watts A, Burt J, Camicioli R, Tan SN, McKeown MJ, Hu B**. Differentiating cognitive or motor dimensions associated with the perception of fall-related self-efficacy in Parkinson's disease. Nature Publication Journal Parkinsons Dis. 2018 Aug 20;4:26. doi: 10.1038/s41531-018-0059-z.
Hu B**, Chomiak T. Wearable technological platform for multidomain diagnostic and exercise interventions in Parkinson's disease. Int Rev Neurobiol. 2019;147:75-93. doi: 10.1016/bs.irn.2019.08.004. Epub 2019 Sep 16.
Are you the profile owner?
Login to edit.