Harley Hotchkiss - Samuel Weiss Postdoctoral Fellowships
The HBI will provide, on a competitive basis, partial salary support to enable full HBI members to recruit and support postdoctoral fellows.
Eligibility: Acceptance into a full-time postdoctoral fellowship program under the primary supervision of a full-time HBI faculty member of the University of Calgary. Trainees who anticipate starting a postdoctoral training program at the University of Calgary within 9 months, or who have commenced training in the past 18 months, are eligible to apply. If successful, applicants must take up award funding within 6 months of application deadline date.
Number of awards available: Up to 8 per year
Duration: Two years, subject to annual renewal
Where Tenable: University of Calgary
Terms: The purpose of this award is to attract and support postdoctoral fellows (PDFs) to the HBI who will be highly competitive for external awards on the basis of their academic performance and research program. Thus, PDFs holding this award are expected to apply for external awards or grants for which they are eligible, including those from provincial or national agencies. Renewal of the award for the second year is contingent on the applicant fulfilling this requirement. It is anticipated that the award will be pro-rated by funding obtained from other sources.
- A postdoctoral fellow is defined as an individual with five years or less of full-time training after PhD or other advanced degree.
- The PDF must spend at least 60% of their fellowship on site at the HBI. The Education Director must be informed of extended periods of absence (greater than 3 weeks) from the HBI.
- Funding under this program is only available to full HBI members for one postdoctoral fellow at a time.
- HBI support does not include benefits.
- Funding cannot be allocated to a PDF remaining in the laboratory where they received their PhD.
- The host laboratory must match the HBI contribution through a commitment of an additional $25,000/year. Applicants must provide a letter of support from their research supervisor confirming commitment of annual matching component.
- Funding is allocated annually and may be renewed once for an individual fellow; renewal is contingent upon application for external scholarships, annual review of progress and letter of support from the supervisor.
- Individuals obtaining external support (i.e. tri-council, AI-HS, or equivalent) or any other internal funding must immediately inform the HBI Education Director to enable re-allocation of HBI funding to other individuals.
- Funding will be subject to budget availability.
Review criteria will include, but not necessarily be limited to:
- Quality of the candidate
- Match of fellow and supervisor research interests
- Evidence of previous research productivity
- Appropriate and informative letters of reference
- Adequacy of funding in host laboratory
Apply: Complete the on-line application form available on the HBI Postdoctoral Funding Opportunities webpage.
Deadline: March 15 / October 1
Questions can be directed to email@example.com.