Certificate in Food Science
BSc (Life Science) + BPHE
Dr. Jane Shearer (PhD) is a professor in the Alberta Children’s Hospital Research Institute (ACHRI), the Cumming School of Medicine and the Faculty of Kinesiology. The central focus of her research is metabolic physiology. Her laboratory mission statement is to “Employ knowledge of metabolism to predict, prevent and treat chronic disease states”.
Current research interests lie in understanding communication between the brain-gut axis, energy disturbances in pathological disease states and in dietary therapies for neurological disorders including autism spectrum disorder and epilepsy. Dr. Shearer has obtained funding for her research from numerous agencies including CIHR, NSERC, Industry and ACHRI.
- University of Calgary, Leaders in Medicine (LIM) Mentorship Award, 2019
- Canadian Diabetes Association – Scholar Award 2007-2012 (Declined)
- Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada – New Investigator, 2007-2012
- Alberta Heritage Foundation for Medical Research, Scholar Award, 2007-15
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC – Postdoctoral Fellowship, PDF), 2003-04
- Baltic Summer School Travel Award – Glucose/Insulin Signaling. Copenhagen, DK, 2002
- Canadian Society of Exercise Physiology Graduate Student Award, 2001
- Young Investigators Award – Federation of American Societies of Experimental Biology, Molecular Mechanisms of Regulation by Dietary Constituents, 2001
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC), Industrial Postgraduate Scholarship (IPS1,2) Quaker Oats Company, 1998-01
- Gatorade Sports Science Institute Graduate Studentship Award, 1997-00